Friday, July 07, 2006

Bike Commuting to Work

In order to keep my fitness level up for a few endurance races I am doing this summer (Longest Day, Wilderness 101, 24 Hours of Allamuchy), and to save a little money from fuel costs, I have been part-time commuting by bike to work.

I tend to drive in with the bike, ride home on the bike, then the next morning I ride the bike into work. I do it about 2-4 times a week now, but as I get faster, I'll do it more often.

Its about 22 miles each way with the climb up and over Skyline Drive being the crux:

Oakland side: ~ 736 feet climb/6600 feet distance = ~11% grade.
Ringwood side: ~ 544 feet climb/3696 feet distance = ~14.7% grade.

Yes, my commute literally is "uphill both ways".

Here is the elevation profile and map:

This morning my commute into work (West Milford to Midland Park) was about 1 hour. Yesterday's ride home was about 1 hour 15 (there are more hills on the way home than on the way to work as the profile above indicates). When I first started doing this back in April and May it was taking me almost 2 hours to get home, so my fitness level is improving. When I can get this down to under an hour I know I'll have become a true "roadie" (God help me ;) ).

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?